Just make it past today


It's day four of being in the hospital with Bethany for her cranial facial surgery. She is doing good so far with recovering. Her eyes are still swollen shut, but should be opening soon. I went to breakfast this morning by myself because Chad stayed at the hotel last night and I stayed in the room with Bethany.

As I was sitting there looking around at the different tables I noticed an older man by himself and thought, "I wonder if his wife is in the hospital for something." He looked rather sad and had been trying to feed himself a piece of toast with his shaking right hand. I noticed that he used his left hand to try to stabilize the right from shaking so much. As I took the last bite of my waffle, I thought I should have maybe sat by him. It was a little to late to eat with him, so I got up and asked him how is day was. He looked up at me with his eyes that went in different directions under his glasses. He smiled at me as if I was the first person that had talked to him in days. He asked me if I had been visiting my mom in the hospital, to which I replied,"No, my 8 month old daughter just had cranial surgery on her skull."

I asked the man if his wife was in the hospital and he said, "Yes, my daughter is with her so I can have a rest." I almost cried thinking what it would be like to be old and have my husband in the hospital. I thought "what if it was his last days here with me?" After those thoughts flashed through my mind, I told the man I would be praying for him and his wife. He kindly said,"Thank you! It seems like we just make it past today lately." I told him to have nice day and as I walked on in the direction to the elevator of children's wing where Bethany was resting, I began to cry.

It is so amazing how many people come to a hospital and feel alone. I know first hand what that feels like now. I understand what that kind man meant when he said, "It seems like we just make it past today lately." Each day we gain more ground then the previous one and know new challenges may come, but the good thing is you make it though them each day at a time.

I am so thankful for God surrounding my family with so many helpful, caring people during this time with Bethany. I hope somehow that man had a better day today by someone caring for him. I can not begin to know what he was going through. I only know what's in front of me, the peace of God, and a little girl that gets to go home today! Thank you all for your prayers, we are so very grateful!!

2 comments:

Dave said...

Great reminder to look for those sitting alone. Beautiful, albeit heart wrenching story. I'm glad y'all are headed home. Hopefully her eyes will be open soon! Praying.

Gerbicks said...

still thinking & praying often for you guys. yea, from what i've heard the hospital is a very lonely place sometimes (per wes!)...it amazes me that you have the clarity of mind (or god in your mind, constantly) to reach out to others while you're going through something other's can't begin to imagine. you both have such strength, faith...